CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 18, 2013

'Healing is a Choice' by Stephen Arterburn

When I requested this book I wasn't sure what to expect. I figured that this could be a really good book or it could be one of those self-help books that leaves me flat and wondering why that book didn't work for me. I must admit that when I started to read the introduction I almost put the book down. It seemed that the authors divorce was the driving force in his life and the pain and anger seemed to still be present in his writing about his ex-wife. I'm very glad that I pushed on.

The basic premise of this book is that there are ten decisions you can make in your life to start healing from past hurts and traumas. There are also ten lies that you can tell yourself that will stop you from healing. The ten choices are, The Choice to Connect your Live, The Choice to Feel Your Life, The Choice to Investigate Your Life in Search of Truth, The Choice to Heal Your Future, The Choice to Help Your Life, The Choice to Embrace Your Life, The Choice to Forgive, The Choice to Risk Your Life, The Choice to Serve, and The Choice to Persevere. While all of these chapters help some great advice and words of wisdom, the chapter about risking your life was the chapter that struck me the most. I've been stuck in my own little safety cocoon and I needed to break out. That chapter actually inspired to come to a decision about something I've been mulling over for months. It inspired me to take a risk.

The ten lies are, All I need to heal is God and me, Real Christians should have a peace in all circumstances, It does no good to look back or look inside, Time heals all wounds, I can figure this out by myself, If I just act as if there is no problem, it will finally go away, Forgiveness is only for those who deserve it or earn it, I must protect myself from any more pain, Until I am completely healed and strong, there is no place for me to serve God, There is no hope for me. All these lies are something I could relate to as I've thought them at one time or another. The author does a fantastic job of laying out why these things just aren't true and giving examples why.

This is a fantastic book. It's hard to get through because you really have to look at yourself and try to look at yourself in depth. It can be hard to do but it really is worth it. I recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book for free from Thomas Nelson publishers through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to give a positive review and all the thoughts contained in this review are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment