CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 13, 2013

'Happily Ever After' by Gary Chapman

Due to life events (surgery, pregnancy, and a new baby this past July) it's taken me a very long time to review this book.

First off, I thought this was a really informative advice with a lot of exercises and how-to so you could actually apply this advice to your life. It can sometimes be frustrating when you get advice from a book but have no idea how to apply it to your life and the book gives no examples.

This book is split up into 6 parts. Part one is 'Everybody Wins: Solving Conflicts without Arguing;. Part two is 'Home Improvements: Negotiating Change with Your Spouse. Part three is, ' Profit Sharing: Making Money an Asset in Your Marriage'. Part four is, 'Now What?: Marriage after the Children Arrive'. Part five is, 'Making Love: Making Sex an Act of Love' and part six is, 'In-Law Relationships: Becoming Friends with Your In-Laws'. Then each section was broken up into different chapters.

While overall this book was very good, I felt like I got tons out of some sections and not a lot out of others. The first section about conflict management was fantastic. It was chock full of advice and how-to and I really got a lot out of it. The section about making love fell completely flat for me. It felt like that section was just saying the same thing over and over in different ways. To be honest about mid way through the section I just started skimming.

One last thing I wanted to talk about was, his other book 'The Five Love Languages' is massively referenced in this book. While he does go over each love language in this book I think reading 'The Five Love Languages' first would probably have helped me more with this book.

Overall a very good read and stuffed with lots of practical advice that can help marriages.

I was given this book to review by Tyndale Publishers for free in exchange for my review. I was not required to give a positive review and all opinions expressed are my own.


0 comments:

Post a Comment